What should your canine first-aid kit include?
- Your veterinarian’s phone number. The ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center’s phone number (888) 426-4435. And if possible, a cell phone for emergencies away from home.
- A pad and pencil
- A tube of antibiotic cream
- Disinfectant, 3-percent hydrogen peroxide solution
- Bandage roll, three-inch gauze
- Muzzle, 4-foot length of soft cotton rope
- Eyewash, bottle of artificial tears to flush eyes
- Tape, roll of 1-inch
- Scissors with straight blunt tips, or specially made bandage scissors
- Tourniquet, or rubber tube
- Liquid soap for cleaning skin wounds
- Thermometer, electronic or mercury-rectal
- Styptic stick, for minor nail bleeding
- Vital signs chart
- Tweezers, or inexpensive hemostatic forceps
Place these items in a small pack or container for easier transport when taking your beagle on trips away from home.