Chocolate is toxic to dogs. If you have immediately discovered that your Beagle has consumed chocolate, rush her to your veterinarian or induce vomiting right away. To induce vomiting, place approximately a teaspoonful of salt on the back of her tongue. A tablespoonful of hydrogen peroxide given orally may also be given, as well as ipecac, but be advised that ipecac tends to work much slower. Activated charcoal may be given in place of induced vomiting to absorb the toxin as well. The proper dosage is 0.45-1.8 grams per pound of the Beagles’ body weight and is given orally in 2-4 ounces of water every 2-4 hours.
Chocolate comes from the roasted seeds of Theobroma cacao. These seeds contain two specific ingredients, caffeine and theobromine, that can be toxic to animals. These two ingredients, if ingested, can lead to various medical problems and may even prove fatal for your Beagle.
At 400 mg per ounce, baking chocolate contains the highest alkaloid content and is the most likely to cause serious medical complications. Less toxic but more readily available are dark chocolate, which has an alkaloid content of 150 mg per ounce, and milk chocolate, which has a content of 50 mg per ounce. For example, say a 20-pound Beagle ingested 10,000 mg of alkaloid, or the equivalent of 25 ounces of baking chocolate, this will cause death. Chocolate which has been consumed in much smaller amounts can cause signs of poisoning including: vomiting, diarrhea, nervousness, increased body temperature, muscle rigidity, rapid breathing, low blood pressure, increased heart rate, seizures, and urinary incontinence. Advanced chocolate poisoning signs are: weakness, cardiac failure, and coma.
Remember it is vital to always keep chocolate out of your Beagles’ reach.